The world of fur…everything you need to know !

 Everything that you need to know about the world of fur: its origin, its source, its specific country-related characteristics…

Production

Today, 85% of the production of all fur comes from breeding farms that are found almost all over the world. The remaining 15% is comprised of wild animal fur which primarily, but not completely, comes from North America and Europe. The most utilised species are as follows: mink, fox, chinchilla and rabbit. With over 17 million pelts produced, Denmark is the largest supplier of farm-bred mink pelts in the world. With regards to fox fur, China is the world’s largest producer.

Vison d'élevage label OA Saga Furs

Characteristics of fur from around the world

Fashion and demand is very varied from one country to another. For example, if fox, mink, racoon and the finn racoon are very popular in Europe, this is not necessarily the case in other countries around the world. With regards to Asia, Russia and the Middle East, demand is more based around the lynx, mink, sable and the chinchilla; America has a strong attraction to beaver, mink, fox and lynx.

Veste en lynx

Lynx Jacket

Quantity is not quality

Standards and regulations in the world are very different from one country to another, whether for farm-bred or wild fur. Fur production is very regulated in Europe, as well as in the United States and Canada. This, unfortunately, is not the case in some developing countries and even in major production countries like China.

However, now there is a worldwide certification (the famous Origin Assured "OA" label for example) which guarantees the well-being and respect for animals. In addition to these certifications there are also quality labels which are almost all OA certified, even for wild fur such as NAFA.

In conclusion, it is better to focus on a pelt which benefits from a certification or label, in order to get the best quality fur, even if it comes from a small production country.